Student employment

Students can apply for a number of work-learn positions at the School of Music:

  • Ushering and front-of-the house jobs: Go to Music Building Rm. 206 on the first day of class to pick-up an application.
  • Audio engineers: Every year the Audio Manager trains select music students on audio engineering. These students then are paid to record recitals, auditions, and more. Further details and application instructions will be emailed to all School of Music students in September.
  • Other on-campus jobs: Visit the UBC student jobs page for more information.

International students: Your study permit allows you to work on-campus. If you're interested in finding off-campus work, please be aware that you will need to apply for an additional work permit. For more information, check out UBC's off-campus work tutorial or speak to an International Student Advisor (tel. 604-822-5021).

Teaching Assistantships

Each year about 45 Teaching Assistantships are offered to graduate and select undergraduate students in the School of Music. T.A. positions available for the current session (September to April) are listed here. Please click on each individual posting for eligibility requirements and other information.

Returning students must re-apply annually for TA-ships even if they have received one in prior years. To apply, please download and complete the TA Application Form, in either Word format or in PDF format.

Forms are due by April 30th each year and must be submitted to the graduate admissions assistant at

New applicants should request statements of support from two faculty members, in accordance with instructions in the application form. Statements of support are due on May 7th each year.

Banner image by Don Erhardt Photography