Welcome to UBC School of Music!
Congratulations on your successful application to the UBC School of Music. During the first two weeks of classes, there will be a welcome meeting for faculty and new graduate students. In the meantime, we've put together a checklist that will help you to get started.
Getting Started Checklist
- Register for courses. Please note that you must register for at least one class before you arrive on-campus.
- Attend an orientation session, check out UBC's Grad Guide and FAQ, and sign up for a campus tour.
- Sit any entrance placement exams required by your degree program. These are held the week before classes begin. If you are not able to be on-campus in time to write the exams, you must immediately contact the noted exam proctor to see if it is possible to sit the exam at a later date.
- Meet with the Head of your Division to plan your courses no later than the end of the first week of classes.
- Visit the main office at the School of Music to:
- Pick up your Graduate Welcome Package (available after August 20th).
- Pick up your graduate mailbox key ($5 deposit — cash only).
- Pay your $20 School of Music Administration Fee (cash only). All Music students must pay this fee.
- If you are a Teaching Assistant or Marker, see Isabel da Silva, Administrative Manager, to fill out payroll forms.
- Sign-up for student ensemble auditions and seating placement (if applicable).
- Request a practice room key. A $20 deposit (cash only) is required. Performers on double bass, percussion, organ and tuba are required to pay a $50 deposit for multiple keys. Once you've submitted your request, you'll receive an email when the key(s) is ready for pickup. At that point, visit Parking and Access Control at UBC Bookstore to get your key. You'll need to pay an additional $20 deposit.
- Practice room scheduling occurs online in mid-to-late August. Details will be sent in August.
- Fill out the Gig List sign-up sheet if you (or your ensemble) are interested in being hired to play at weddings or other functions. Forms are available in the Music Building lobby and should be returned to the main office.
- Fill out a Private Lessons Form if you wish to be on a public list of music teachers in the UBC School of Music Extension Program. Forms are available in the Music Building lobby and should be returned to the main office.
- Visit UBC Bookstore to:
- Pick up your student card and U-PASS (mandatory for all AMS members). Both are available after August 15th.
- Purchase a parking pass (if needed).
- Please note that UBC Bookstore gets incredibly busy the first week of September, so if you arrive on campus in August, we recommend visiting the store as soon as possible.
- Update your email and residential addresses. As soon as you have your current local address, make sure to update your contact information on the Student Service Centre. It is your responsibility to provide (and update as needed) UBC with your current contact information so that we may reach you with any critical information, issues or advising details.
- Check out these resources designed to help you settle into life on campus:
Students coming from outside Canada and the U.S. should check out the International Student Handbook. You will also want to keep up-to-date with relevant services and opportunities by subscribing to the weekly newsletter from International House on campus.
Other useful information:
- Study permits & visas (including study permits)
- Health Insurance and Health Care
- Working in Canada
- Contact an International Student Advisor
- Medical Services Plan
- Initial Study Permit (if you're currently in Canada as a visitor)
- Study Permit Extension
- Temporary Resident Visa
- Working in Canada (on-campus & off-campus)
- Co-op Work Permit
- Post Graduation Work Permit
- Spouse Work Permit
Banner image by Don Erhardt Photography