The Diploma is a specialized undergraduate program in Music Performance or Collaborative Piano in which applicants have previous post-secondary music study.
Applicants to the Diploma program must
- meet the application prerequisite of at least 60 credits of post-secondary study, normally in an accredited B.Mus. performance program. Preference is given to applicants who have completed a B.Mus. or graduate degree in music performance.
- complete the online UBC application and submit any required items
- complete the Diploma Supplementary Application.
- submit two letters of recommendation. Please direct your recommenders to the 2018 Reference Form.
- audition, either in-person or via video.
The deadline for application to UBC is January 15, 2018 and the deadline for applying to the School of Music is January 22, 2018. Late applications may be considered on an individual basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 audition dates are March 3/4 & 10/11. Due to possible changes in faculty schedules, DO NOT MAKE TRAVEL PLANS until you have received a confirmed, individual audition time from the School of Music. The upload deadline for video auditions is March 1. Video audition directions and requirements are available after the application deadline.
Please note that Diploma students are not eligible for certain scholarships and other types of financial support.
Diploma in Music Performance
The Diploma in Performance Studies is an advanced program designed to prepare vocalists and instrumentalists for professional performing careers through private instruction and intensive solo and ensemble performance experiences. A minimum residency of one Winter Session (September to April) is required. In general, applicants should have training equivalent to that of B.Mus. performance graduates of UBC.
Audition requirements: Your audition will last 20 – 30 minutes. Students should bring prepared pieces that will show musical potential as well as technical facility, and should bring an accompanist if desired (an accompanist will be provided for vocal auditions only).
Diploma in Collaborative Piano Studies
The School of Music offers a two-year Diploma in Collaborative Piano Studies. The unique demands of collaborative work with singers and instrumentalists require specialized training for pianists. The Diploma program combines repertoire study with a diverse array of courses designed to enhance specific skills, in preparation for, or in place of, graduate degree work in collaborative piano. Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree, normally in piano performance, including several years of experience in collaborative work, in both vocal and chamber music, and with very strong proficiency in sight reading. Some study of German and of French or Italian is recommended.
- One short solo piece containing some virtuosic element
- Movement 2 or 4 of the Franck Sonata for Violin and Piano (some substitution possible with approval from Professor Rena Sharon)
- One substantial opera aria
- Two songs
- One opera aria to be specified by faculty
- Partners can be provided by the School of Music.
- Contact Professor Rena Sharon at email@example.com with any questions relating to audition requirements.
Banner image by Vincent L. Chan