Congratulations to UBC School of Music faculty and alumni for their 2016 Western Canadian Music Award Nominations!
Classical Artist/Ensemble of the Year
- Couloir: Ariel Barnes and Heidi Krutzen (faculty)
- Turning Point Ensemble and musica intima
- Paolo Bortolussi (faculty)
Turning Point Ensemble includes several UBC Music faculty:
Jeremy Berkman trombone
Brenda Fedoruk flute
Vern Griffiths percussion
François Houle clarinet
Benjamin Kinsman horn
Heidi Krutzen harp
The nominated recording, Thirst (Redshift Records), includes Karen Wilson (BMus’74), producer and Will Howie (BMus’04), recording engineer and digital editor.
Classical Composition of the Year
- Songs from the Rainshadow’s Edge – Benton Roark (MMus’07, DMA’13)
- Birds of Paradise Lost – John Oliver (BMus’82)
- 15 for Piano – Howard Bashaw (MMus’84 and DMA’89)
World Artist of the Year
Malcolm Aiken (MMus’09) is a member of Mazacote.
The 14th annual Western Canadian Music Awards show will be hosted on Thursday, October 13th, 2016 at Casino Regina.
Congratulations to all our friends nominated by BreakOut West!